1 flax egg (1 tbsp flax seeds, ¼ cup water)
¼ cup maple syrup
¼ cup blackstrap molasses
¼ cup coconut oil
2-3 tbsp powdered ginger
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tsp mixed spice/allspice
1 tsp vanilla powder
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp bicarbonate soda
½ tsp sea salt
2 cups ivory teff flour
- Add the flax seeds, water, maple, molasses and coconut oil to a blender. Blend for 10 – 15 seconds.
- Pour into a large mixing bowl.
- Sieve in the rest of the ingredients to the bowl.
- Stir together, then kneed with hands until forms a dough.
- Allow 30-60 minutes to rest.
- Preheat oven to 180 degrees celsius fan forced.
- Roll dough out approximately 3mm thick on a lightly floured surface and begin to cut out gingerbread men with a cookie cutter.
- Place cut gingerbread men on a baking tray and continue rolling out dough and cutting gingerbread men until all the dough is used up.
- Bake in the oven for 7-10 minutes. Remove and allow 15 minutes to cool.
- Decorate with icing, puffed quinoa and chocolate-coated cacao nibs.