- 140g Ivory Teff Flour (1 cup)
- 100g Ground Toasted Hazelnuts (1 cup)
- 30g Arrowroot (1/4 cup)
- 30g Cacao Powder (1/4 cup)
- 1tsp Baking Powder
- 1tsp Bicarb Soda
- 1tsp Cinnamon
- Pinch of Sea Salt
- 75g Coconut Sugar (1/2 cup)
- 2 Bananas (mashed)
- 120ml Olive Oil (1/2 cup)
- 120ml Coconut Milk (1/2 cup)
- 1tbsp Apple Cider Vinegar
- 1tsp Vanilla
Chocolate Hazelnut Frosting:
- 100g Dark Chocolate
- 240ml Coconut Cream (1 cup)
- 1tbsp Maple Syrup
- 30g Ground Hazelnuts (1/4 cup)
- Extra Hazelnuts (for topping)
If you can, make the chocolate and coconut frosting the night before (to set):
1. Chop the dark chocolate and put into a small bowl. In a pan, heat coconut cream on low until it comes to boiling point. Pour over the chopped chocolate and stir until all melted. Stir in the maple syrup and leave to cool down. Transfer to a fridge to set into a spreadable consistency. Stir in the ground hazelnuts before frosting the cake to thicken the frosting.
2. Preheat the oven to 180°C (160°C fan).
3. Grease and line 8″ round cake baking tin.
4. In a large bowl whisk together ivory teff flour, ground hazelnuts, arrowroot, cacao powder, baking powder, bicarbonate of soda, cinnamon, salt and coconut sugar and set aside.
5. In a different bowl whisk together olive oil, coconut milk, apple cider vinegar and vanilla.
6. Add the wet mix together with mashed bananas into the dry mix and stir together until well combined. Add a couple more tablespoons of coconut milk if the mix feels too dry, but it shouldn’t be runny, rather a more thick batter.
7. Spoon into your prepared tin and level the surface.
8. Bake for about 45min or until a baking skewer comes out clean.
9. Remove from the oven once ready, leave to cool down for 20 min before moving onto a wire rack.
10. Once the cake is cooled place onto a cake stand and spread the chocolate and hazelnut frosting on top. Chop some hazelnuts and sprinkle on top.
11. Store in a fridge & enjoy!
RECIPE BY HANA MENDES FROM NIRVANA CAKERY