- 1 Cup Gluten Free Self Raising Flour
- 1/2 Cup Ivory Teff Flour
- 1/2 Cup Almond Meal
- 1 Heaped tbsp Icing Sugar
- 40ml Cream
- 80ml Buttermilk
- 1 tsp Bicarb Soda
- 1 tsp Xanthan Gum (you can easily leave this out, but your scones will be a little more crumbly).
- Leave out the icing sugar and add a pinch of salt for a savoury version. In our trials, these were just as good as the sweet version! Add chives, goats cheese and bacon for an easy, delicious lunch.
- Coconut cream and nut or soy milks can also be easily swapped in for a dairy free version. However, you’ll want a small splash of vinegar or lemon juice to be added to the nut milk, so it can react with the bicarb soda.
- You can also easily add in chocolate chips, berries, raisins or sultanas. Add these ingredients last, just before you knead the everything together.
- Pre heat oven to 220c fan forced.
- Mix dry ingredients, then make a well in the middle and add wet ingredients.
- Mix by hand to form a dough. It will be reasonably crumbly at the start, but should come together after a minute or so of kneading. Add very small amounts of additional milk if it doesn’t start coming together.
- Roll into a log, and cut out even sized slices and form into scone shape.
- Nestle together in a baking tin; this recipe should make about 8.
- Brush with milk.
- Bake for 8 – 10 mins.
- Let cool slightly but eat while hot, with your favourite toppings.